Wednesday, May 8, 2013

To Run or not to Run

I am not a runner. In fact, a few weeks ago if you ever saw me run, your best bet would be to start running too. I had a million and one excuses not to run, its too cold, too hot, don't have enough time, I'll ruin my knees, I could get hypothermia, I don't have the right bra, its too hilly, I might pass out and get robbed, I was even worried about how I looked when I ran, I envision me running to look something akin to Phoebe from Friends running. You know that episode where Rachel ditches Phoebe because she's such an embarrassment?

One day the excuses seemed old and worn out. What if I just tried? I really hadn't run since high school soccer. We moved closer to the lake and I could run on flat land with no hills (one excuse knocked out).  I was looking for a new challenge, a challenge just for me to conquer. The inner dialogue looked something like this: Running. No, not running, I'll ruin my knees. No really, give running a chance. I can't run my boobs will flop all over the place. Then I went on Amazon and bought a very expensive pair of cross-trainers that I couldn't justify have just sit in my closet. With the shoes delivered the inner dialogue still raged. One day at Target I found the perfect running bra, bright, almost neon pink, totally obnoxious and totally what I needed as inspiration. That's when I knew I had found my challenge. By the end of the summer be able to run from my house to Seward Park--it is an almost all flat route and a totally attainable goal (+/- 4 miles).

And then it dawned one me in my many years of excuse making I didn't once consider the benefits. A great cardiovascular work-out, a great stress reliever, instant energy booster, builds endurance, and last but not least a feeling of accomplishment every-time I am finished with a run, because I have cheated my excuses one more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment